April 16, 2011

Bees!

Here we are Friday . I took the day off work and set up the bee boxes on their stand. Alden helps by sticking a screwdriver in the extra escape hole of the hive. On Saturday the bees arrive. I bring them home and chat with them over a cup of coffee. Alden and Ilana welcome them as well. A package of bees has about three pounds of bees in it, which amounts to about 10,000 all together, although I didn't count. They are all huddled like that because they are cold. Despite being mid-April it was only about 45 degrees F on that day. I thought we had some good video of me banging the bees out of their box into their hive, but my doing that coincided with Alden deciding he was scared of our neighbors totally friendly and harmless dog. So Alden was being wrangled and soothed and the moment was not captured. After I poured the bees into their hive I gave them some food (sugar water) and medicine and put the box outside the hive so the remaining stragglers could find their way in. Here is a close-up of them checking out their new home.

No comments: