October 13, 2009

Alden - almost 21

On a stroll around the block the other day (off work because it was Columbus Day) Alden and I found a box of old-school Legos on the side of the street with a bunch of other free stuff. There were also two buckets (to put the Legos in) and a glass jar for some nails I have that need sorting (not in picture). I felt really good the rest of that day and I think finding the Legos was the reason. Alden is teething again and had a bad fever last night, so we were taking it easy. We didn't build with the Lego's, we just transferred them from one bucket to the other and identified their colors.
After the Lego-find Alden and I hung out in the backyard under the apple tree. I also took him to the backyard so that I could turn over the compost pile. While I was working it over, Alden wandered into the tall grass behind the compost and got stuck in the reeds. He made it less than foot into the wilderness before getting slightly tangled and very alarmed. He called out "tuck, tuck!" (translation: stuck), which is what he says when he's unable to perform a desired action. It usually escalates into full blown panic and meltdown, so I had to stop my composting, rescue him from the grass, and calm him with a story.

I told him different versions of the three little pigs story. I couldn't remember how it ended. In the version recall I think the three pigs end up safe in the brick house, the wolf tries to climb down the chimney and is boiled alive. In one of my versions the wolf just goes away. In another version, the pigs take the wolf to court for damages.
The beanbag chair was a gift from Uncle Ben before he left for Oregon. Ilana hates it. Alden and I love it.
Alden has gotten more particular about what he eats and what he wears. Fortunately he is very good at verbal communication. There are still some problem areas - waking up and going to sleep especially. He is NOT fond of changing clothes or diapers anymore, even though until about two weeks ago he was fine with it. Alden still doesn't have a favorite security object like a stuffed bear or blanket. He has things he is fond of but I think his main security objects are Ilana and myself. We started watching a few Sesame Street and School House Rock videos on YouTube, mostly things with music in them. Ilana and I have had the Ladybug Picnic stuck in our heads for three days so far and Alden has a love for the number six and appreciates it when we watch the I Got Six School House Rock toon.

No comments: