July 28, 2008

Weekend on the lake- Updated

We went to my Dad's place on the lake this weekend and took Alden for his first swim. The water was a bit brisk, so Alden wasn't sure he liked it initially. Then he watched Mika the dog splash my Dad when she jumped in and thought maybe this water thing was more fun than he'd initially thought. So we tried again and he seemed happier about it. He was also better acclimated to the water the second time around. He liked to slap it and watch it bounce back in his face. We took turns holding him and moving him about in the water.
Even Mika was interested.

I think all the light bouncing off the surface was also really appealing to him.
Good times for everyone! It was a pretty hot and sunny day and I think Alden was happy to cool off. He would have stayed in longer, I reckon, but I started stressing about his sun exposure (babies his age aren't supposed to wear sunscreen yet) so we took him out before he was really done. He did get about 15 minutes of water time all together.

Here's a video of his first reaction to the water. Initially shocked by the cold, he watches Mika jump in and then thinks, "yeah, I can totally do that." After that, he went all in, no fuss, no muss.


I'd hoped to edit the second video down to a few manageable splashing segments and cut out my ridiculous commentary, but the format from our camera doesn't seem to be compatible with imovie and I can't be bothered to try to figure out final cut, so... here it is, unedited and a bit silly, but hopefully the splashy bits are entertaining.

2 comments:

Aaron Hobson said...

The lake looks nice. Wish I could have been there too. I'd even bring a matching nautical suit.

Anonymous said...

So nice to see all the pictures and movies of Alden and company.......and so good to hear that everything is OK with Alden's growth etc. 90% in head size is better than being a 10% pinhead like Sarah was (I was a bit concerned, and now look at her!!) I also think that all my kids weighed about 15 lbs at 6 months, so it must run in the family. Continue to have fun!! and keep the pictures coming......they are my day brightener. Love, auntie K