April 10, 2010

2nd bathroom

The long road to our second bathroom continues. It began last fall when I spent a couple weeks knocking a hole in our granite foundation. This, I thought would be the easiest way to connect to the main drain and water source. It may have been the easiest way, but doing it wasn't easy. Drilling stone with a hammer drill takes a lot of time and the angle it was at (near the ceiling of the basement) made it awkward. The area we are building the bathroom we refer to as the Mud Room, because despite being part of the house, it is not unlike a porch where you take off your dirty boots and whatnot. There is no heat to this part of the house and the ceilings are kind of low. When we bought the house the washer and dryer were in this room, along with a 1953 horizontal meat freezer. We got rid of the freezer and moved the washer/ dryer to the basement.

I started framing the bathroom a couple moths ago, which meant ripping up the linoleum floor, tearing out the ceiling and reinforcing underneath. Another reason this room was not frequently used (besides the no-heat thing) was that the floor was flexy. Part of the bathroom build included building some support walls in the basement and making the bathroom walls support the floor of the unfinished room above (another future project). Then came the wiring for the bathroom and the hallways on both sides... and the room above, heck why not. Wiring wasn't too bad, although I did it in two stages about three weeks apart. When I started the second stage there were a few things I discovered and thought, "who was the moron (me) who did this... what were they thinking?" It's all working properly now, which is the important thing.
After the room was framed and wired in came the sheet-rock for inside the room and the backer-board for the floor. Then drains and the water pipes. Right through the hole that was made two seasons ago!
I thought about putting a bath in, but with the size (5x7) there wasn't enough room. The bathroom will have a shower, a sink and a toilet.
The shower and toilet will be divided by a knee-wall that will be tile on the bottom and a piece of hanging glass on the top. I am hoping the glass will make the small space seem bigger, brighter, etc.
I am near the point where I will start seeing big changes any day now. The floor and walls are ready for tile or paint. I still need to put up the ceiling, but I have the materials and the venting is run. I am looking forward to a bathroom downstairs, as is Ilana and Alden. Every time we pass the construction Alden points and says, " Daddy making shower, sink and potty" . I love that.

No comments: