May 26, 2013

Bee Confusion

I went out to check the hives this weekend and it seems like the queen of the purple hive has split. I deduced this because there were at lest six queen cells in the hive and no new baby bee larva. There was also no new babies in the hive splits, however it has been raining for a week, so if a queen did hatch she would not have been able to do her mating flight. To be fair I did not do thorough hive inspections (and am feeling like I really should have now) but this is how things seem to be.


  • Brown hive (Ponyo) Looks good. This is the most active colony and appears to be fine.
  • Grey hive (Mercury) was a hive split from the purple hive two weeks ago. It seemed to be doing well, but now I am not so sure. I thought a new queen would be laying by now... but it has been raining.
  • Purple Hive (Sally) was created from a captured swarm from the green hive last year. Now there is no queen, but there are queen cells. Things should work out in this hive if a new queen survives her mating flight.
  • Green hive (Soskai) I kept waiting for the last few bees of this queenless colony to die off. It has been about two months now and still some workers are lingering. So I took one frame with two queen cells  (from purple hive) and put it in the hive.  After doing this Ilana told me she was doing some reading and it was a mistake... I'll check next week and see.
  • Yellow hive (no name) I made a hive split from the brown hive last week with two frames of brood. I did not see queen cells this week so I am a little worried.




No comments: