October 16, 2009

Energy Audit

As shown on TV, our house has a very poor thermal barrier. it is 116% more ventilated than a house at proper energy standards (with the R48 insulation in the attic and whatnot). The primary problem is that all the insulation that was put in (in the 50s or 60s) has settled. So the top three feet of the house has nothing keeping the cold out and the warm in. The attic is also under insulated so that needs some addressing.

Some simple fixes like sealing around the baseboards are already underway. But this should be remedied more when better wall insulation is installed. We are researching our options.

I don't know what is going on with the stairs, but the carpeting complicates matters. It needs to be fixed, the stairs are very drafty.

Here you can see where the mice made their tunnels in the existing insulation. In theory, blowing in better wall insulation will fill these voids. Until then I will feel like we live in a giant ant farm.

Our basement has an R value of 1. It was the biggest problem in the report. It runs counter to everything I believe about heat loss to think that a basement would be that much a problem. Heat rises, cold falls and as long as it stays in the basement, big deal... I guess that was the same thinking of the previous owners as well. It looks like I'll be doing some basement work this winter.

2 comments:

joshua said...

Hot air rises. What we usually think of as 'heat' is radiation. It travels in a straight line and isn't effected by gravity (much).

Benjamin said...

man, I would have energy audited myself. I bet that would've looked awesome. Although it would do nothing but reinforce Scott telling me I'm full of nothing but hot air....and how much he hates lawyers. Seems to come up every conversation now....and he wonders why I never call.....