December 9, 2008

December Blahs

Most of the clan is sick this week. Poor little fella has a head cold, so no one is sleeping much these days. Not that we get much sleep on a normal night, but having a sick baby reminds you just how much worse it can actually get. He's been very congested and can't breathe well at night. He's also snotting up a storm and smearing all over my shirt/blowing it into my face/rubbing it into the carpet, so despite almost OCD-like hand washing, I've managed to contract his foul little bug as well. One last note about being sick and then I'm moving on - Every time I've written an entry on this subject, I get some anonymous comment from a lurker who thinks he/she's going to make bank by enlightening me about a fabulous product that will cure whatever ails me and/or my child. I've got two words - Piss Off. Seriously, you people are like buzzards. I can't imagine this tactic ever actually works.

It's been snowing on and off this week, which makes everything around here quiet, except for the occasional clanking from a plow truck. Ben returned from Maryland and is staying with us for a while. He hadn't been here 24 hours before I suckered him into babysitting for an hour so I could finally get a hair cut. I have now entered the "sensible hair" era of my life (moving away from the "neglected hair" era that marked my youth). The look is very practical, very middle-aged-woman-with-a-kid. It's slightly depressing, but I guess that's who I am now. I saved my ponytail and will be donating it to a non-profit group that makes wigs for the American Cancer Society. I couldn't resist the opportunity to have a little fun before mailing it. Doesn't Ben look awesome with a mullet?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The mom cut looks great! You are officially ready for the minivan. My strategy is long enough that I can tuck it behind my ears but short enough that the baby can't get too much purchase on it to yank it all out; so basically, dorky AND practical!

Anonymous said...

I confess, I really dig your hairstyle, Cheyenne - very chic and not at all dorky, but I don't think I pull it off as well as you do. Your strategy was pretty much what I told the hairdresser - long enough to pull up but short enough to keep away from little hands. And I told her that it had to be no maintenance. Other than that, I told her to do as she saw fit, so she chose the style. Her idea of no maintenance is different than mine, I guess, because she used a straightener, hair gel and hairspray to get the ends to sit down. Today is my first jump out of the shower and run out the door trial with the hair. It's curled every which way at the ends and I look like a mop. So much for no maintenance! Sigh...